Samsung phone burns up under Texas girl’s pillow

News
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

DALLAS (PIX11) — A Texas teen using her Samsung smartphone to text and tweet before falling asleep awoke to find the phone burning under her pillow,  according to a report from KDFW.

Ariel Tolfree, 13, told KDFW she slipped the Galaxy S4 under her pillow and then later woke up to the smell of something burning.

“I didn’t think much of it, so I went back to sleep and then I woke up again and it was more prominent,” Tolfree told the station.

KDFW reached out to Samsung, and a company spokesperson told the station that the battery inside Tolfree’s phone was not an original Samsung battery.  The company notes that  in the phone’s manual, it cautions against using incompatible cell phone batteries and chargers. The manual also warns that there’s the risk of a fire or explosion if the phone is covered by bedding or other thick material.

Read the full story from KDFW.

Trending Stories

Connect with PIX11 Online

Connect with PIX11 Online

Don't Miss

Latest Video

Weather will get a little cooler but a heat up next week

Bronx educator making history as founder of school to empower immigrant community

Gov. Murphy signs bill requiring NJ schools to teach diversity, inclusion

College student from Queens gets one-in-a-million face surgery

PIX11 Sports' Andy Adler talks Jacob deGrom with SNY's Steve Gelbs

Polling insights: Can Gov. Cuomo survive politically?

Andy talks to SNY's Steve Gelbs about how Jacob deGrom's looking this Spring Training

Gov. Cuomo responds to sexual harassment claims

City looks to vacant hotels to solve housing crisis

@PIX11News on Twitter