FOREST HILLS, Queens – A motorcyclist identified previously as a person of interest in a string of arson fires in Queens is no longer being sought by police, authorities said Monday.
Police had wanted to speak with the green-helmeted motorcyclist, whose photo was published across local media, including on PIX11 News, but have since determined he was not involved in the seven fires deliberately set in Forest Hills since Nov. 8.
With the motorcyclist ruled out, police are now searching for a man spotted walking near the scene of the Nov. 25 blaze on 67th Drive. He was captured on surveillance video, embedded above, from that day.
So far, investigators have linked seven fires to the arsonist. They happened as follows, according to NYPD:
- 7:30 p.m. Nov. 8 at 68-60 112 St.
- 10:10 p.m. Nov. 15 at 112-35 69 Road
- 6:30 p.m. Nov. 17 at 108-43 66 Ave.
- 11:12 p.m. Nov. 25 at 108-43 67 Drive
- 12:18 a.m. Dec. 6 112-35 69 Road
- 10:27 p.m. Oct. 20 at 70-35 113 St.
- 10 p.m. Nov. 10 at 108-13 67 Road
Anyone with information in the case is urged to call NYPD’s anonymous Crime Stoppers hotline at 800-577-TIPS (8477).