(PIX11) — Keren Gilbert, MS, RD, shares ways to use chia seeds (yes, like those used to sprout grass from Chia Pets) to enhance your food.
- HD Diet based on hydrophilic foods.
- Hydrophilic foods have the ability to absorb water due to its high soluble fiber content.
- Foods that have the capacity to absorb water promote weight loss by
- Steadying blood sugar levels and diminishing cravings
- Keeping you full
- Maintaining digestive health
Chia seeds are a quintessential hydrophilic food.
Black or white seeds have the capacity to hold water up to 12 times its weight.
Chia seeds are an ancient super food used as a staple in the Aztec and Mayan cultures as an energy food due to their unbelievable nutritional profile.
Protein, calcium, potassium, antioxidants, iron, essential fatty acids omega 3 and 6 and of course the ability to keep you full for hours due to high soluble fiber content.
Here are the 5 ways to incorporate chia seeds into your diet- consume less calories and lose weight:
First make chia gel
- 1/3 cup of chia
- 2 cups of warm water
- Combine, stir occasionally for 10 minutes
Chia Peanut Butter
- 1 tablespoon of peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons of gel
- Mix together until smooth
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter= 90 calories and 8 grams of fat
- 4 tablespoons of peanut butter= 360 calories and 32 grams of fat
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter and 3 tablespoons of chia gel= 150 calories and 15 grams of fat
So you are displacing fat and calories, adding nutrition and eating more for less.
- 1 tablespoon of raw chia seeds or 3 tablespoons of chia gel
- 1 cup frozen strawberries or mixed berries
- 1 cup of vanilla unsweetened almond milk
- Blend all together
Chia Crusted Salmon
- 1 Decision Nutrition Chia bagel
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon or raw seeds
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- Blend together and apply to two four ounce salmon fillets.
- Bake at 375 for 25 minutes
- 2 cups coconut water
- 1.5 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/2 tbsp fresh lemon or lime juice, or to taste
- Sweetener, to taste- 1/2 tbsp maple syrup or stevia
- Combine ingredients and mix. Serve right away- serves 2
Greek Chia Yogurt
- 6 ounces Greek yogurt
- 2 dried figs
- 2 apricots almonds
- 10 almonds
- 1 tbs chia seeds
- Combine all the ingredients for delicious yogurt parfait.