This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

FREEPORT, L.I. — Between Christmas lights, decorations, candles and more, the fire risk is high as the holiday season is in full swing – But there are ways to stay safe and avoid fires in your home.

Joined by Freeport Mayor Robert T. Kennedy, PIX11’s Jill Nicolini got some important fire safety tips with Long Island’s Freeport Fire Department, the largest volunteer fire department in New York state.

When it comes to Christmas lights, check for exposed wires before putting them on a tree or around your home, Chief Thomas Johnson said. He also warned of overloading circuits with too many plugs.

Meanwhile, if you’re burning candles, Executive Director Ray Maguire said to be sure not to leave them unattended or near children or pets. Also, make sure not to place lit candles by flammable things, such as curtains or holiday decorations.

One big tip some might not realize: Don’t set any timers for holiday lights inside while you’re away from home. Only keep the holiday lights on inside when you’re home.