OZONE PARK, Queens — An electric bike battery caused Wednesday’s Queens fire that left a boy dead and others injured, officials said.
This is the third death from an electric bike battery this year, FDNY Commissioner Daniel Nigro said. Nine people were hurt in the Ozone Park blaze.
“We’ve had numerous fires, numerous injuries, property damage, all caused by charging these batteries in these bikes,” Nigro said.
The fire broke out in a three-story building at 81-19 102nd Road, near 81st Street.
Remi Miguel Gomez Hernandez, 9, was killed in the blaze.