Deadly Queens fire caused by electric bike battery, FDNY says

Queens

OZONE PARK, Queens — An electric bike battery caused Wednesday’s Queens fire that left a boy dead and others injured, officials said.

This is the third death from an electric bike battery this year, FDNY Commissioner Daniel Nigro said. Nine people were hurt in the Ozone Park blaze.

“We’ve had numerous fires, numerous injuries, property damage, all caused by charging these batteries in these bikes,” Nigro said.

The fire broke out in a three-story building at 81-19 102nd Road, near 81st Street.

Remi Miguel Gomez Hernandez, 9, was killed in the blaze.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Queens Videos

Queens residents faced with paperwork, inspections after Ida flooding

Iron work on display at Steel Day in Queens

Free clothes, school supplies handed out at Queens community event

COBA president: Union was not informed about NYC's emergency Rikers relief plan

Queens hostage situation ends with NYPD officer’s husband in custody after shootout: police

Fire creates chaos, concern at Queens hospital

More Queens

Connect with PIX11 Online

Connect with PIX11 Online

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

@PIX11News on Twitter