PATERSON, N.J. (PIX11) — A 51-year-old woman was arrested for allegedly stabbing her granddaughter on Wednesday in Paterson, New Jersey, according to authorities.
Police received a call around 4 p.m. reporting a stabbing near Carroll Street and Godwin Avenue, according to the Passaic County prosecutor’s office. Police found a 5-year-old girl with multiple stab wounds.
Following an investigation, police determined Aurora Villacorta stabbed her granddaughter, officials said.
Villacorta was arrested and charged with the following:
- Aggravated assault in the second degree
- Aggravated assault in the third degree
- Unlawful possession of a weapon in the fourth degree
- Possession of a weapon for an unlawful purpose in the third degree
- Endangering the welfare of a child in the second degree
Villacorta faces up to 30 years in prison if she’s convicted of all of the charges, according to officials.
Jonathan Rizk is a digital journalist who has covered local news in the New York City and Washington D.C. areas. He has been with PIX11 since August 2022. See more of his work here and follow him on Twitter.