NEWARK, NJ (PIX11) — Nine people suffered gunshot injuries in a Newark drive-by shooting on Thursday evening, officials said.
Police rushed to the 200 block of Clinton Place after a ShotSpotter notification around 6:20 p.m., Newark Acting Public Safety Director Raul Malave said. When emergency medical workers arrived, four adult victims were on scene. They were taken to University Hospital for treatment.
Another four adults and a 17-year-old victim went to Newark Beth Israel Medical Center for treatment on their own, authorities said. All nine victims were in what officials described as stable condition, but the exact extent of the victims’ injuries was not immediately clear.
Police initially reported only eight people had been shot, but later updated that number. The nine victims were shot outside a bodega.
Officials have not yet said what led up to the shooting. Investigators are looking for a white Honda stolen from Jersey City in connection with the incident.
Acting Attorney General Matthew Platkin said his office was working closely with state police and officers in Newark to solve the “senseless” shooting.
“We are committed to ending the epidemic of gun violence in our communities,” Platkin tweeted.
Watch the full press briefing with Newark Acting Public Safety Director Raul Malave in the video above.