NEW YORK (PIX11) — A man was arrested early Wednesday on suspicion of stabbing three fellow homeless men in Manhattan, one of whom died, according to police.

Trevon Murphy, 40, was arrested early Wednesday in Harlem, officials said during an afternoon press briefing at One Police Plaza. Murphy was being interrogated by police Wednesday afternoon. He was charged with murder, two counts of attempted murder and two counts of assault.

“This man was preying on the vulnerable,” said NYPD Commissioner Keechant Sewell, announcing the arrest. “We are thankful for the combined effort to apprehend this subject quickly and safely.”

Murphy, who is himself homeless according to police, was spotted by a member of the public around 6:40 a.m. Wednesday near St. Nicholas Park in Harlem, officials said. Recognizing Murphy because he was wearing the same “Innocence Project” hoodie, backpack, and distinctive neon sneakers as a man previously identified by the NYPD as a suspect, the good Samaritan both called 911 and pointed out Murphy to two uniformed cops in the area, according to authorities. Murphy was arrested without incident.

Murphy was allegedly carrying a knife in his left pants pocket, and has identified himself to police as the man pictured in surveillance images of the suspect, according to the NYPD. Police also noted during the briefing that Murphy has an open court case for allegedly assaulting a roommate at a Queens homeless shelter in April. Murphy allegedly attacked that man while he was sleeping, as each of the three Manhattan victims were assaulted, officials said.

The first stabbing happened on July 5, when a 34-year-old man sleeping inside Hudson River Park in the West Village was ambushed around 3 a.m., according to authorities. The victim stumbled to get help, collapsed near the West Side Highway and died, police said.

Two more attacks were reported in the past week. A 59-year-old man was attacked on Friday in the vicinity of Madison Avenue and East 49th Street, while a 28-year-old man was stabbed in Stanley Isaac Playground along the FDR Drive on Monday, police said. Both victims were hospitalized and police described their conditions as stable.

All of the victims were stabbed in the stomach, according to investigators. No words were exchanged between the suspect and victims before the attacks, police said. The attacker stared at one of his sleeping victims for a half-hour before striking, authorities have said.

Sewell questioned why Murphy was free to allegedly commit the attacks, citing both the pending Queens case as well as an outstanding warrant for allegedly violating his parole in a Tennessee narcotics case.

“This is a story we have told many times before,” said Sewell. “This suspect should not have been on our streets.”