GREAT RIVER, NY — An unresponsive child in serious condition was pulled from a backyard pool at a Great River home on Thursday afternoon, police said.
The 7-year-old boy was found in the Pinetree Lane pool around 1:30 p.m., officials said. The boy, who’s related to the residents, was rushed to a local hospital.
Two children recently drowned in East Brunswick in New Jersey.
The Red Cross has water safety tips for children available here. Tips include:
- Swim in designated areas supervised by lifeguards
- Always swim with a buddy
- Never leave a young child unattended near water
- Teach children to ask permission to go near water
- Have young children or inexperienced swimmers wear U.S. Coast Guard-approved life jackets around water
- Make sure everyone in your family learns how to swim well
- Secure pools with appropriate barriers
- Avoid distractions when supervising children around water
Suffolk County Detectives are asking anyone with information on this incident to call the Third Squad at 631-854-8352.