NEW YORK (PIX11) – More than 40,000 people will participate in the annual Tunnel to Towers 5K Run & Walk in New York City on Sunday.
The event was created in honor of FDNY firefighter Stephen Siller, who died on 9/11 after running from the Hugh L. Carey Tunnel (formerly known as the Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel) with 60 pounds of gear to help his fellow firefighters at the World Trade Center.
The event also commemorates the 343 FDNY firefighters, police officers, and thousands of civilians who lost their lives in the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.
The Tunnel to Towers 5K will be held from 9:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.
The 5K begins at the entrance of the Hugh L. Carey Tunnel in Brooklyn and finishes at West Street and Murray Street in Lower Manhattan. See maps of the course here.
Significant traffic disruptions are expected during the event. The following streets will be closed in Manhattan and Brooklyn, according to the New York City Department of Transportation.
- Battery Park Underpass
- West Street between Battery Place and Warren Street
- West Thames Street between West Street and Dead End (Battery Park Esplanade)
- South End Avenue between West Thames Street and Liberty Street
- Liberty Street between West Street and Battery Park Esplanade
- Murray Street between North End Avenue and West Street
- Warren Street between West Street and River Terrace
- North End Avenue between Warren Street and Vesey Street
- Vesey Street between West Street and River Terrace
- River Terrace between Warren Street and Vesey Street
- Richards Street between King Street and Bowne Street/Hamilton Avenue
- Hamilton Avenue between Van Brunt Street and Henry Street
- Van Brunt Street between Visitation Place and Hamilton Avenue
- Bowne Street between Van Brunt Street and Richards Street
- Seabring Street between Van Brunt Street and Columbia Street
- Commerce Street between Van Brunt Street and Columbia Street
- Delevan Street between Van Brunt Street and Columbia Street
- Verona Street between Van Brunt Street and Columbia Street
- Visitation Place between Van Brunt Street and Richards Street
- Dwight Street between Beard Street and Commerce Street/Columbia Street
- Hamilton Avenue between Henry Street and the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel (Woodhull Street)
- Columbia Street between Verona Street and Hamilton Avenue
- Beard Street between Richards Street and Dwight Street
Finn Hoogensen is a digital journalist who has covered local news for more than five years. He has been with PIX11 News since 2022. See more of his work here.