Fireworks are a part of American culture, used to symbolize a celebration as grand as the sound they make, but for your pet, the experience can be dangerous and even traumatic.
While pets love to hang around the table waiting for crumbs to drop or for generous handouts from a plate, plenty of go-to cookout food can be harmful to their digestive systems.
“We may overindulge in a BBQ but the scraps fed to a dog may create gastrointestinal problems. Keep your dog on a regular diet,” said Roy Gross, chief of the Suffolk County Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.
Here are a few tips from the SPCA to keep your dog safe while enjoying your favorite summer activities:
- Do not take pets to firework shows, they are not fun for them.
- Keep pets in an escape-proof home. Turn on music to drown out fireworks.
- Make sure your pet always wears a collar and identification tag.
- Advise guests not to give table food to your pet.
- This includes foods such as onions, chocolate, avocado, grapes, salt and yeast dough, which can be toxic to pets.
While these tips apply to the entire summer, they may be especially helpful Monday evening as the citywide ‘Macy’s Fourth of July Fireworks Spectacular’ begins.