Brooklyn activists call for infrastructure spending to improve air quality, transit system

Brooklyn

BROOKLYN, N.Y. — The air in North Brooklyn and other parts of the city has problems, including health risks caused by infrastructure and a transit system that advocates say doesn’t ensure the health and safety of residents.

Asenhat Gomez of El Puente, a community human rights organization, said the well-being of residents has decreased as a result of the air quality and environment.

Environmental racism in the Bronx: Why the asthma rate is so high in the borough

“This community has been challenged with really bad transportation infrastructure that impacts the air quality and impacts the health of the community members,” Gomez said.

The advocates that gathered in Williamsburg Monday said roads here have been prioritized over public transportation. The same is true, they said, with car access over the people’s access.

The blame is put on inequitable transportation funding.

Decades-old legislation has put 80% of funding towards highways and the remaining 20% to transit.

Executive Director of Tri-State Transportation Campaign Renae Reynolds said infrastructure built under Robert Moses, the area’s “master builder” in the early-to-mid- 20th century, bifurcated neighborhoods to make way for roadways.  

People of color more exposed than whites to air pollution

“The South Bronx is a clear indicator of the ways that neighborhoods were completely demolished in order to increase access to further suburban areas,” Reynolds said.

They’re asking for billions of dollars in federal funding to transform transit here in New York City.

Danna Dennis, a community organizer with Riders Alliance, said they want $20 billion into the upcoming budget for operating funds. They also want $3 billion annually to keep their efforts going.

Additionally, they’re calling on Congress to pass H.R.3744 – the Stronger Communities Through Better Transit Act.

The House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee passed a $547 billion-dollar transportation package earlier this month. H.R.3744 would be an amendment that will be introduced to Congress on Wednesday.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Brooklyn Videos

Coney Island grandmother needs repairs

14th Annual Bushwick Film Festival kicks off Wednesday

See it: Shootout between murder suspect, New Rochelle police in Brooklyn

Mom of teen bystander shot in head shares update: 'She's doing really well...First week was hell'

Suspect identified after police shootout in Brooklyn with New Rochelle cops

New Rochelle murder suspect arrested in Brooklyn after shootout with police

More Brooklyn

Connect with PIX11 Online

Connect with PIX11 Online

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

@PIX11News on Twitter