Night 2 of Borough Park protests against new COVID-19 ‘hot spot’ restrictions

Brooklyn
Night 2 of protests in Borough Park, Brooklyn

Scenes from a second night of protests in the Borough Park neighborhood of Brooklyn over New York’s new strict COVID-19 restrictions in “hot spot” zones in areas of Brooklyn and Queens.

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

BOROUGH PARK, Brooklyn — Protests erupted in Brooklyn’s Borough Park neighborhood for a second night Wednesday over Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s new restrictions on schools, businesses and houses of worship in New York City’s “cluster zones” seeing an uptick in coronavirus cases.

Some residents in these areas have said the state is unfairly targeting Orthodox Jewish communities as it tries to stamp out hot spots before they spread.

Cuomo and Mayor Bill de Blasio have insisted the new restrictions are based solely on science and data around coronavirus-case clusters.

Demonstrations turned violent Wednesday night when a journalist was assaulted by a group of protesters he said surrounded him and kicked and hit him.

Jacob Kornbluh, who identified himself as a reporter for jewishinsider.com, said hundreds of community members attacked him, calling him a “nazi” and “Hitler.”

NYC Councilmember Chaim Deutsch tweeted that he was “disgusted” by the report of the attack and stands in solidarity with Kornbluh, writing that it is “NEVER acceptable for a protest to devolve into violence.”

While police said no arrests were made at the second night of protests, they confirmed Thursday morning there was an ongoing investigation into the incident.

“Violence will not be tolerated in New York City,” the NYPD tweeted. “We take any act of criminality seriously.”

While the NYPD told PIX11 there had been no reports of fires or destruction of property, a witness who said they were at the protest Wednesday told PIX11 that people had started more fires in the streets.

The witness, who wished to remain anonymous, shared video of crowds around flames in a Brooklyn street.

New York State Assembly Member Simcha Eichenstein said in a statement, “What we have been witnessing on the streets of Boro Park over the last 48 hours does not reflect the values of our beloved community.”

While he is “deeply saddened and outraged” by Gov. Cuomo’s “rhetoric and draconian measures,” he said “violence is never the answer. Ever.” Read his full statement on his Twitter.

NYC Councilmember Kalman Yeger denounced the violence on Twitter late Wednesday night. “Second night in a row, a resident from our community was surrounded and assaulted. THIS IS NOT WHO WE ARE,” he wrote.

Protests first broke out in the area Tuesday night and also reportedly turned violent when a photographer said he was attacked by a group.

The city and state begin strict enforcement Thursday of the new restrictions in Gov. Cuomo’s plan.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Brooklyn Videos

He spent decades making repairs for NYCHA. Now his public housing home is crumbling and he can't get help

Five Coney Island NYCHA buildings without heat, hot water

18-year-old deli worker shot in the head

Brooklyn tenants on rent strike still waiting for repairs

Overnight explosion rocks Cypress Hills

Brooklyn home explosion leaves 6 hurt, dozens displaced

More Brooklyn

Connect with PIX11 Online

Connect with PIX11 Online

Trending Stories

Follow us on Facebook

Don't Miss