This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MELVILLE, N.Y. — A man is dead and his wife has been hospitalized due to apparent carbon monoxide poisoning at their home in Melville, according to Suffolk County Police.

Authorities were called to 31 Scott Drive around 8:30 a.m Thursday, after a frantic 911 call from the couple’s daughter.

The daughter told police that she received a phone call from her mother, who said she’d been vomiting  “all morning.”

The daughter arrived to the home to find her mother 60-year-old mother, Kyriaki Bouziotas sick and her stepfather, Stephen Yancofski, 55, unconscious.

A 911 operator told the daughter to remove her parents from the home, but she was unable to due to their weakened conditioned, police said.

When Melville firefighters arrived on the scene, their carbon monoxide detectors started going off.

Investigators believe the family did not have any working carbon monoxide detectors in their home.

EMS transported Yancofski to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead. Bouziotas was also hospitalized, where she is being treated.

Police say firefighters suspect a PVC pipe on a basement water heater became loose, filling the house with carbon monoxide.