This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

BAYSIDE, Queens — Emergency crews responded to a home in Queens early Tuesday because of high levels of carbon monoxide there, authorities said.

FDNY was called about 5:30 a.m. to the home at 226-04 77th Ave. in Bayside, the agency said. At least five people were found to be suffering from high levels of carbon monoxide and taken to a hospital in unknown conditions.

An investigation is underway. No evacuations have been ordered.

Carbon monoxide, also known as CO, is a colorless, odorless and tasteless gas that, at first, is not irritating. But prolonged exposure to breathing in the gas can be fatal, with initial symptoms including headache, dizziness, weakness, upset stomach, vomiting, chest pain and confusion, according to the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.