Family says dog ‘baked to death’ due to Petco groomer error

News
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

POWHATAN COUNTY, Va. (PIX11) A Virginia family blames a Petco groomer for the death of their young dog Colby.

According to WTVR, Allison Marks dropped their two-year-old Golden Retriever off at a Petco in Virginia Friday for a routine grooming. Relatives said that Colby had no prior health problems.

When Marks hadn’t heard back in a couple hours, she called the store, where she was informed that she should meet the Petco store’s assistant manager at a nearby animal hospital.

Colby had been pronounced dead from heat stroke.

The assistant manager at Petco informed the family that a groomer accidentally left Colby in one of the drying cages, which has a temperature of over 105 degrees, because the groomer left to attend a graduation party. Other Petco employees were unaware that Colby was suffering in the cage.

Melody Newman says Colby was her mom’s dog, and the family is in shock over the heartbreaking loss.

“My sister had called and she told me what had happened and I was like, ‘Are you serious?’”  Newman said. “Colby was a very playful puppy. He just turned two in February. He was so playful.”

Petco has released the following statement:

“All of us at Petco are heartbroken by Colby’s passing. The health and safety of pets is always our top priority and we take full responsibility for all animals under our care. We are taking immediate action to investigate and understand the situation. Our thoughts are with Colby’s family at this difficult time.”

Copyright 2022 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Connect with PIX11 Online

Connect with PIX11 Online

Trending Stories

Follow us on Facebook

Don't Miss

@PIX11News on Twitter