NEW YORK — All non-essential, city permitted events in June have been canceled in an effort to stem the spread of COVID-19,Mayor Bill de Blasio announced Monday.
The decision includes major annual events such as the Pride March, Puerto Rican Day Parade and Celebrate Israel parade. All concerts, rallies and large gatherings are also canceled.
De Blasio said his administration is working with event organizers impacted by the cancellation.
In a statement released Monday, NYC Pride organizers said the decision to cancel the march was difficult but necessary.
“As the days have passed, it has become more and more clear that even with a decline in the spread of COVID-19, large-scale events such as ours are unlikely to happen in the near future,” NYC Pride Co-Chair Maryanne Roberto Fine said. “We understand that we need to reimagine NYC Pride events – and have already begun to do just that.”
Interim executive director David A. Correa said the decision “weighed on our members, board and staff” because they understand that Pride is often a safe space for vulnerable communities to celebrate.
“It was not easy to arrive at the decision to cancel Pride as we have come to know it over the years, especially given the financial impact this could have on LGBTQIA+ people and businesses, but our top priority remains the health and well-being of all those that participate with us,” Correa said.
Last week, de Blasio had canceled all non-essential, permitted events for May.
When asked if New Yorkers could expect to see any large events or gatherings in the 2020 calendar, the mayor said it’s too soon to tell.
“It’s a possibility, but we need to see what happens,” he said.
As of Sunday, there were more than 13,800 COVID-19 fatalities and over 242,700 people have tested positive.