NEW YORK — Find the latest information on the COVID-19 pandemic in New York state and New York City, including data on positive cases and other indicators, and information from local officials.
NY unveils first 10 college scholarship winners
Ten lucky students in New York received full college scholarships on Wednesday, simply for getting vaccinated against COVID-19.
COVID vaccine latest in New York
As of Wednesday, 65.5% of adult New Yorkers have received at least one vaccine dose and 57.3% have completed their vaccine series.
- 68,355 doses were administered over past 24 hours
- 19,149,539 doses administered to date
Update: New COVID cases, hospitalizations, deaths in NY
- Of the 71,019 tests reported Tuesday, 431 were positive
- One-day positivity rate of 0.61%
- Total COVID hospitalizations – 1,007
- 11 new COVID deaths reported Tuesday
NYC to deploy mobile pop-up vaccine sites at schools for students
As New York City continues its COVID-19 vaccine rollout, Mayor Bill de Blasio announced plans to open up vaccine sites at schools to get more young teens inoculated.
Mayor de Blasio gives NYC COVID-19 update
Vaccines in NYC
- Total doses administered: 8,340,355
- New vaccine site at New York Aquarium (Opens Wednesday) walk-in or schedule appt.. Get a free ticket for a future visit (Pfizer for people 12+)
- People ages 12-17: 118,000 already vaccinated (23% of kids in that age range)
- Vaccines for teens:
- Starting Friday, deploying mobile pop-up vaccine site to schools for students age 12-17
- Starting with four schools in the Bronx and expanding to all five boroughs in the next few weeks
- Partnering with UFT to get this done.
- Councilman Mark Levine: “If we bring vaccinations to them in their school buildings, that’s a game change.” Schools already have relationships and trust with families.
- NYC Youth vaccination week (June 1-7)
- Full schedule: nyc.gov/nycmobilevax
- NYC hosting block parties and resource fairs
- COVID Hospitalizations: 66 (15% positivity rate)
- Hospitalization rate per 100,000, 7-day average (NYS): 0.56
- New reported COVID-19 cases on 7-day average (including probable cases): 240
- 7-day rolling average: 0.83%
Movie theater chains lift mask mandate
Masks are no longer required for people who are vaccinated at the three main movie theater chains in the United States. AMC Entertainment, Cinemark, and Regal Cinemas announced the decision two weeks after the CDC said fully vaccinated people do not need to wear masks in most settings.
Two-thirds of NY adults have taken one vaccine dose: CDC
The latest federal data shows two-thirds of adults in New York have received at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine. At the same time, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said on Saturday that coronavirus-related hospitalizations statewide are down to 1,143 patients.
Vaccinated vs. unvaccinated children: What can they do?
Though COVID vaccinations are on the rise, children younger than 12 and those opting not to get vaccinated are still at risk of becoming seriously ill from the virus. One doctor weighs in on what unvaccinated children can and can’t do.
New York, New Jersey and several companies nationwide are offering incentives for those who get vaccinated, including free food, drinks and a scratch-and-win ticket where people have the chance to win $5 million.
Latest official numbers
As of Wednesday, there were 2,086,012 confirmed cases of COVID-19 since March 2020 and 42,734 fatalities, according to data from the state.
The New York state coronavirus hotline is 1-888-364-3065; information is also being posted here