NEW YORK — Find the latest information on the COVID-19 pandemic in New York state and New York City, including data on positive cases and other indicators, and information from local officials.
NY bar and restaurant curfew extended
Gov. Andrew Cuomo extended the 11 p.m. curfew for bars and restaurants to midnight, effective Monday. For catered events, the curfew will extend from midnight to 1 a.m.
“But at the same time, we caution New Yorkers: don’t get cocky. The disease is still very much with us,” Cuomo said. “We have to stay smart until COVID is crushed.”
Cuomo gives update on NY COVID response
Cuomo at Belmont Stakes
- Building arena for NY Islanders
- 19,000 seats
- Will be ready by the end of the year for the new hockey season
- Northwell is going to vaccinate the women and men who are working on this complex
Mayor de Blasio gives NYC COVID update
Vaccines in NYC
- Doses administered: 5,328,696
- Over 550,000 vaccinations last week
- Over 600 vaccination sites
- On track for 5 million fully vaccinated by June
Johnson & Johnson vaccine latest
- Dr. Dave Chokshi: When it comes to vaccines, there are no bad questions.
- Decision to pause means we’re looking at the science and focusing on people’s safety.
- Those who booked J&J appointments will receive Pfizer or Moderna vaccine
- About 4,000 people had to be rescheduled to days later this week
- Homebound vaccination program suspended through this Sunday.
- COVID Hospitalizations: 174 (53% positivity rate)
- Hospitalization rate per 100,000, 7-day average (NYS): 2.99
- New reported COVID-19 cases on 7-day average (including probable cases): 2,637
- 7-day rolling average: 5.30%
- Bernie Madoff dead in prison. What’s your comment?
- Many people were hurt by his actions. Hopefully we can turn the page and move forward.
- How is the NYPD preparing for the verdict in the Chauvin trial?
- We’re preparing. We would be ready for a variety of protests.
- J&J fallout: You said NYers would be rescheduled. Now saying people who have J&J appointments later in the week will just be given a different vaccine.
- The point has been to keep getting people appointments. As soon as we get the all clear in the J&J, we’ll do that.
- Dr. Chokshi: Vast majority of people who have been planned to get J&J vaccine this week will keep appointment as is, but will get Moderna and Pfizer. If anyone has questions, call the vaccine site. We’ve also contacted people. If they had appointments yesterday, they were notified about rescheduling.
- Shooting spike — shutting down of court system is to blame. We’ve reached out to court system, criticized mayor’s comments.
- I’ve said it’s not just one factor. The pandemic has caused many issues. There has been very few trials this year, and we’re waiting for more trials.
- Summer and gun violence — what’s being done to ensure safe summer?
- Bringing community and police together. Reforms announced in recent months is crucial in fighting crime.
- Deepen the work to stop the violence at the root.
- NYPD robot dog — NYPD says it’s testing out capabilities, etc. Why test this technology in this way?
- Mayor: I haven’t seen it, but if it’s unsettling, we should rethink the situation. I don’t want people to feel that something is happening that they don’t know about.
- When can senior centers open?
- When we phased its closing, we’ll also phase its reopening
- Dr. Chokshi: We know how important senior centers are. What we can do to accelerate the timeline is to help people get vaccinated.
- Homebound seniors initiative — is there a plan after Sunday if the pause lasts longer than anticipated?
- We need the federal government to move quickly.
- Dr. Chokshi: We expect to have some clarity in the next two to three days and we’ll have more answers on how to proceed. Plan for homebound seniors depends on that.
Latest official numbers
As of Wednesday, there were 1,957,551 confirmed cases of COVID-19 since March 2020 and 41,301 lab-confirmed fatalities, according to the state Department of Health.
The New York state coronavirus hotline is 1-888-364-3065; information is also being posted here