NEW YORK — Find the latest information on the COVID-19 pandemic in New York state and New York City, including data on positive cases and other indicators, and information from local officials.
Questions swirl as NY prepares to lift mask mandate
New York will no longer have a mask-wearing requirement in most indoor and outdoor settings for people who are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 beginning Wednesday at midnight. Even though just over half of New York adults are fully vaccinated, according to state records, the change in the rules has left some people with questions.
Update: New COVID cases, hospitalizations, deaths
- Test results reported Monday – 95,870
- Total positive – 1,030
- One-day percent positive – 1.07%
- Seven-day average percent positive – 1.07%
- Patient hospitalization – 1,585
- Number of COVID patients in ICU – 387
- Number of ICU patients with Intubation – 223
- New COVID fatalities – 17
- Total deaths – 42,503
COVID vaccine latest in New York
- Total doses administered – 17,745,024
- Total doses administered over past 24 hours – 118,879
- Total doses administered over past seven days – 806,782
- Percent of New Yorkers ages 18 and older with at least one vaccine dose – 62.0%
- Percent of New Yorkers ages 18 and older with completed vaccine series – 52.6%
- Percent of all New Yorkers with at least one vaccine dose – 50.2%
- Percent of all New Yorkers with completed vaccine series – 42.2%
Mayor de Blasio gives NYC COVID-19 update
Vaccines in NYC
- Total doses administered: 7,628,062
- 12-15 year-olds vaccinated: About 20,000 already received first dose
- Getting vaccinated: New mobile vaccine site outside Barclay’s Center
- Get vaccinated and get free merchandise
- Select number of free playoff tickets for fully vaccinated fans
Recovery for communities
- NYC leads the way in: Investing in contracts and support for Minority and Women Owned Businesses
- Requiring contractors to hire from the community, especially from NYCHA and lower-income communities.
- We need Albany to step up.
- COVID Hospitalizations: 91 (22% positivity rate)
- Hospitalization rate per 100,000, 7-day average (NYS): 0.98
- New reported COVID-19 cases on 7-day average (including probable cases): 590
- 7-day rolling average: 1.47%
- On Wednesday, the state will adopt the CDC’s mask guidance. Is it possible the city will have a mask mandate that’s different from the state?
- Mayor: CDC guidance focuses on people who have been vaccinated. As more people get vaccinated, there are more opportunities for that freedom. People will probably wear masks where they feel is appropriate. We’re going to watch the data, and we’re seeing great correlation with vaccinations. If we see something else, we’ll make adjustments.
- Dr. Dave Chokshi: CDC guidance is based on sound science for fully vaccinated people (two weeks after receiving second dose). The real issue will be the real-world scenarios (mixing vaccinated people with unvaccinated people)
- Breaking up any confusion on mask guidance for everyone
- Where masks in congregate settings, hospitals, schools, transportation, etc.
- If you’re vaccinated, you have more freedom. People should exercise good judgement.
- Vaccines in NYC: About 2/3 to goal of having 5 million New Yorkers fully vaccinated by June.
NY to adopt CDC mask guidelines
Gov. Andrew Cuomo said the state will adopt the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s new mask and social distancing guidance for vaccinated people.
Effective Wednesday, those who are fully vaccinated can resume most activities without wearing a mask or physically distancing, except where required by federal, state, local, tribal, or territorial laws, rules, and regulations, including local business and workplace guidance.
Those who are immunocompromised or unvaccinated should continue to wear masks and social distance, according to Gov. Cuomo.
NY reopening: NYC marathon, Tribeca Film Festival return
The New York City marathon will return to the five boroughs this fall and the Tribeca Film Festival’s closing night will be held at a full-capacity Radio City Music Hall in June as the city that never sleeps continues to reopen for business in a post-COVID pandemic world.
Vaccinated? Here’s how to score some freebies
A handful of nationwide businesses are incentivizing people to get the COVID-19 vaccine by offering free goods, from beer to dessert-on-a-stick. Click here for a full list of freebies to take advantage of.
Can I still spread COVID if I’m vaccinated?
At the start of the vaccination drive in the United States, it was altogether unknown whether the COVID-19 vaccines would prevent transmission of the virus. But recently, thanks to a series of studies, we’re getting greater clarity about the potential for fully vaccinated people to spread the vaccine.
Latest official numbers
As of Tuesday, there were 2,071,443 confirmed cases of COVID-19 since March 2020 and 42,503 fatalities, according to data from the state.
The New York state coronavirus hotline is 1-888-364-3065; information is also being posted here