NEW YORK — Find the latest information on the COVID-19 pandemic in New York state and New York City, including data on positive cases and other indicators, and information from local officials.
Gov. Cuomo provides NY COVID update
- NY positivity rate: 0.51%
- Tests reported: 80,956
- Tests positive: 411
- NY COVID-19 hospitalizations: 370
- ICU: 86
- Ventilators: 45
- COVID-19 fatalities in NY: 42,974
- Vaccination doses administered: 21,197,633
- (CDC) % of NYers 18+ with at least one dose: 72.1%
- (CDC) % of NYers 18+ fully vaccinated: 65.4%
Mayor de Blasio gives NYC COVID-19 update
Heat in NYC
- After days, the impact of heat was growing, Con Edison informed the city a problem was brewing. Made a decision to alert New Yorkers what can be done to prevent outages.
- Over 1,000 megawatt drop (enough energy to power one million single-family homes)
Central Park Homecoming concert
- Confirmed three performers participating: Paul Simon, Bruce Springsteen, Jennifer Hudson
- More details to come.
Vaccines in NYC
- Total doses administered: 9,303,347
- Vaccine buses and vans all over NYC this weekend: South Beach, Highland Park BBQ area, Park of the Americas, Orchard Beach, Soundview Park BBQ area, International African Arts Festival, Empire Outlets, Floating Pool, Liberty Pool, Phil Rizzuto Park,. Children’s Aid Health Center
July 4 weekend fireworks special
- Plan ahead: Street closures, including FDR, beginning 3 p.m.
- No large backpacks, umbrellas, large coolers, lawn chairs, lawn blankets, alcoholic beverages allowed at viewing areas
- Public viewing begins 6:30 p.m.
- COVID Hospitalizations: 62 (11% positivity rate)
- Hospitalization rate per 100,000, 7-day average (NYS): 0.28
- New reported COVID-19 cases on 7-day average (including probable cases): 194
- 7-day rolling average: 0.69%
States hesitant to adopt digital COVID vaccine verification
Customers wanting to wine, dine and unwind to live music at the City Winery’s flagship restaurant in New York must show proof of a COVID-19 vaccination to get in. But that’s not required at most other dining establishments in the city. And it’s not necessary at other City Winery sites around the U.S.
If City Winery tried doing such a thing at its places in Atlanta and Nashville, “we would have no business, because so many people are basically against it,” said CEO Michael Dorf.
Child tax credit opt-out: When is the deadline?
According to the IRS, some people may want to unenroll if they “expect the amount of tax you owe to be greater than your expected refund when you file your 2021 tax return.” Because the payments are being paid in advance, “every dollar you receive will reduce the amount of Child Tax Credit you will claim on your 2021 tax return.”
Is fear of needles keeping you from COVID vaccine?
An average healthy person will get at least 165 needle sticks over a lifetime, based on routine vaccinations and tests, according to Harvard Health. But could the fear of needles keep you from getting vaccinated against COVID-19, which has claimed more than 603,000 lives in the United States?
NYC expands at-home COVID vaccination program to all eligible residents
New York City residents ages 12 and older can now sign up for appointments to get vaccinated in the comfort of their home at no cost.
NY ends alcohol to-go and delivery
New York restaurants and bars will no longer be allowed to sell alcohol through takeout or delivery orders, the State Liquor Authority announced Wednesday.
New monument honoring essential workers to open in NYC on Labor Day
A new monument honoring essential workers will open in New York City. The new Circle of Heroes Monument to Essential Workers will open on Labor Day at Battery Park City in Lower Manhattan.
NY COVID State of Emergency ends
New York’s COVID-19 State of Emergency, issued more than 15 months ago when the virus first overwhelmed the state, came to an end in late June.
New York, New Jersey and several companies nationwide are offering incentives for those who get vaccinated, including free food, drinks and a scratch-and-win ticket where people have the chance to win $5 million.
Latest official numbers
As of Thursday, there were 2,097,971 confirmed cases of COVID-19 since March 2020 and 42,974 fatalities, according to data from the state.
The New York state coronavirus hotline is 1-888-364-3065; information is also being posted here