NEW JERSEY — Below you will find the most up-to-date information on coronavirus news impacting New Jersey. You can find additional resources and coverage on our coronavirus page.
Update: New COVID cases, hospitalizations and deaths
- 504 new positive PCR tests
- 884,221 total positive PCR tests
- 122 new positive antigen tests
- 127,975 total positive antigen tests
- 21 new confirmed deaths
- 23,370 total confirmed deaths
- 2,660 probable deaths
COVID vaccine latest in NJ
- As of Wednesday morning, 8,139,656 total doses have been administered statewide and 3,936,176 New Jersey residents were fully vaccinated.
Gov. Phil Murphy unveils new vaccination initiatives
The governor was at Island Beach State Park in Seaside Park on Wednesday to detail new initiatives to encourage New Jersey residents to get vaccinated against COVID-19.
Operation Jersey Summer
- Uncork the vaccination: Anyone 21 and older who gets their first COVID-19 vaccine dose in the month of May and takes their vaccination card to one of nine participating wineries will receive a free glass of wine.
- Dinner with the governor: Beginning Wednesday, anyone 18 and older who’s received at least one dose of the COVID-19 vaccine in New Jersey can enter to win a dinner with Gov. Murphy and first lady Tammy Murphy at either Drumthwacket, which is the official residence of the governor, or at Island Beach State Park. To enter, visit http://covid19.nj.gov/dinner. The deadline to enter is May 31.
- Vax and visit: The New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection will offer a free “State Parks Vax Pass” to all residents who get at least one dose of a COVID vaccine by July 4. The pass will allow free access to any state park that charges entrance or parking fees from May 27 through Dec. 31.
NY, NJ lift most COVID capacity restrictions
Most coronavirus capacity restrictions end Wednesday across our region, Governors Andrew Cuomo and Phil Murphy announced earlier in May.
Capacity rules will be lifted for businesses such as retail, food service, gyms and fitness centers, family entertainment, personal care businesses, museums, theaters and Broadway.
The 6-foot social distancing requirement will remain in effect in both states.
NY, NJ gathering, event limits relaxed
In both New York and New Jersey, the limits for gatherings, both residential and social, increase Wednesday.
- Indoor social gatherings: 250 people maximum
- Indoor private/residential gatherings: 50 people maximum
- Indoor sports/event venues: 30% capacity
- General outdoor gatherings
- NY: 500 people
- NJ: No limit
- Outdoor sports/event venues
- NY: 33% capacity
- NJ: No Limit
NJ mask mandate update
Starting Wednesday, people fully vaccinated in New Jersey can take their mask off outdoors when not in a crowd.
However, the state’s indoor mask mandate remains in effect, according to Gov. Murphy.
Latest official indicators
As of Wednesday, there have been 884,221 total positive PCR tests in the state since March 2020, and there have been 23,370 lab-confirmed coronavirus deaths, according to the state Health Department.