NEW JERSEY — Below you will find the most up-to-date information on coronavirus news impacting New Jersey. You can find additional resources and coverage on our coronavirus page.
New Jersey shutting down 6 mass vaccination sites
New Jersey will shut down its six mass COVID-19 vaccination sites as the state moves from a megasite model to relying on community-based sites, Gov. Phil Murphy announced Wednesday.
NJ Gov. Phil Murphy offered COVID updates
COVID vaccine update
- As of Wednesday morning, 8,725,874 total doses have been administered and 4,259,893 New Jersey residents were fully vaccinated.
- More than 5.3 million residents ages 12 and up have received at least one dose of a COVID vaccine — over 70% of the total vaccine-eligible population.
- New Jersey is one of only six states to crack 70% of the 12+ population with at least one vaccine dose.
Latest on new COVID cases, hospitalizations
- 237 new positive PCR tests
- 888,074 total PCR tests
- 53 new positive antigen tests
- 128,689 total antigen tests
- 518 COVID patients hospitalized – lowest since Oct. 4
- 120 patients in ICUs
- 70 ventilators in use
- 20 new lab-confirmed COVID deaths
- 23,569 total fatalities
- 2,678 additional probable deaths
- The statewide rate of transmission was 0.73.
- The positivity rate was 2.12%
Closing mass vaccination sites
- With nearly 1,800 vaccination sites spread across the state, the Murphy administration is moving away from the vaccine megasite model and transitioning to a community-based model.
- The state’s megasites have delivered nearly 2 million doses and fully vaccinated more than 950,000 people.
Movie theater chains lift mask mandate
Masks are no longer required for people who are vaccinated at the three main movie theater chains in the United States. AMC Entertainment, Cinemark, and Regal Cinemas announced the decision two weeks after the CDC said fully vaccinated people do not need to wear masks in most settings.
Vaccinated vs. unvaccinated children: What can they do?
Though COVID vaccinations are on the rise, children younger than 12 and those opting not to get vaccinated are still at risk of becoming seriously ill from the virus. One doctor weighs in on what unvaccinated children can and can’t do.
New Jersey drops indoor mask mandate
New Jersey dropped its statewide mask mandate for most indoor settings on Friday, following CDC guidance that says fully vaccinated people do not have to wear face coverings or social distance in most scenarios.
New York, New Jersey and several companies nationwide are offering incentives for those who get vaccinated, including free food, drinks and a scratch-and-win ticket where people have the chance to win $5 million.
Latest official indicators
As of Wednesday, there have been 888,074 total positive PCR tests in the state since March 2020, and there have been 23,569 lab-confirmed coronavirus deaths, according to the state Health Department.