NEW JERSEY — Below you will find the most up-to-date information on coronavirus news impacting New Jersey. You can find additional resources and coverage on our coronavirus page.
NJ Gov. Murphy offers COVID pandemic update
Expanded child tax credit
- Monday is Child Tax Credit Awareness Day.
- Thanks to the American Rescue Plan, major tax relief is available to many middle-class and working families.
- Payments will begin being distributed monthly in July.
COVID vaccine update
- As of Monday, 9,435,844 total doses have been administered in New Jersey and 4,801,626 individuals who live, work, or study in New Jersey were fully vaccinated.
- “There is a direct correlation between our increasing vaccination numbers and our decreasing infection and hospitalization numbers,” Murphy said. “If you don’t want to be one of the numbers on our dashboard, get vaccinated.”
- “The simple fact: Our COVID-19 numbers are being almost entirely driven by the unvaccinated among us,” Murphy said. “The vaccines have proven to be more than 99.9% effective in preventing illness and hospitalization.”
Update: New COVID cases, hospitalizations, deaths
- 126 new positive PCR tests
- 891,483 total positive PCR tests
- 42 new positive antigen tests
- 129,825 total positive antigen tests
- 305 patients hospitalized
- 64 patients in ICUs
- 32 ventilators in use
- The positivity rate was 0.95%
- The statewide rate of transmission was 0.99
- 3 new lab-confirmed fatalities
- 23,687 total lab-confirmed deaths
- 2,690 additional probable deaths
Operation Jersey Summer update
The state’s COVID-19 Community Corps team has knocked on more than 134,000 doors – in addition to nearly 60,000 phone calls and texts – to help get the word out that the vaccines are safe, effective, and free.
NJ COVID vaccine milestone
New Jersey surpassed 4.7 million people fully vaccinated ahead of the state’s goal of June 30.
NJ ending utility shutoff moratorium
New Jersey’s moratorium on utility shutoffs for customers with overdue bills during the pandemic will end next month, Gov. Phil Murphy said Monday.
NJ schools mask mandate frustrations spill out during hearing
Frustrated parents called on New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy to relax mandates for mask wearing in schools across the state. The testimony came on June 11 during an Assembly Republican hearing on masks in schools and featured testimony from mothers and at least one school nurse.
Poll: Americans who refuse COVID vaccine likely won’t change mind
According to the poll published on June 8 by the analytics and advisory company Gallup, 78% say they are unlikely to reconsider their vaccination plans, including 51% who say they are “not likely at all” to change their mind and get vaccinated.
What is happening with the US investigation into COVID-19’s origins?
Once dismissed by most public health experts and government officials, the hypothesis that COVID-19 leaked accidentally from a Chinese lab is now receiving scrutiny under a new U.S. investigation.
New York, New Jersey and several companies nationwide are offering incentives for those who get vaccinated, including free food, drinks and a scratch-and-win ticket where people have the chance to win $5 million.
Latest official indicators
As of Monday, there have been 891,483 total positive PCR tests in the state since March 2020, and there have been 23,687 lab-confirmed coronavirus deaths, according to the state Health Department.