NEW YORK — Below you will find the most up-to-date information on coronavirus news impacting New York. You can find additional resources and coverage on our coronavirus page.
Gov. Andrew Cuomo holds a teleconference with the latest on New York’s numbers and reopening.
- COVID hospitalizations Sunday: 642
- Percent tested positive Sunday: About 1%
- COVID fatalities on Sunday: 11
Two situations we have to watch
- National increase in COVID-19 cases in many states, and probability that it will affect NY’s numbers eventually.
- Lack of compliance with social distancing and mask wearing in public.
Breaking reopening updates
- 27 more establishments in NYC issued violations Sunday night, after 105 on Friday and Saturday night across NYC and Long Island.
- Cuomo said 10 more establishments had their licenses suspended over the weekend, for a total of 40 suspended so far.
- NY investing in group of PPE companies with caveat that if a wave of cases hits NY again, the state gets first dibs, Cuomo says.
NYC Mayor Bill de Blasio held his daily briefing. Watch in video below.
Gun violence in NYC
- Our court system must fully reopen
- “We are all in this together” but “now is the time to overcome that” so we can address violence.
- Only 50% of firearms charges have been processed to get to the point of indictment.
- Question: Slowdown in courts does not correlate with shootings. What do you attribute the increase?
- If you don’t have a functioning court system, you can’t follow through with cases.
Helping NYC youth
- New recreation center at Nostrand Avenue in Flatbush, Brooklyn.
- Community engagement will begin Fall 2020.
- Anticipated programs include: Indoor pools, kitchen for cooking classes, two-lane track
- Cooling centers across the city
- 8 public pools now open, more opening up this week
- COVID hospitalizations: 54
- H+H ICU admissions: 286
- Percentage tested positive: 1%
- Reaction to Jumaane Williams school reopening plan
- We’ll look into public advocate’s plan, but right now the plan is blended learning
- “We right now have a plan.” Every individual school is taking that plan and refining it to their capabilities. They’ll talk to their parents in the next few weeks. We can’t make a decision for September one or two months ahead.
- What do you think about reopening schools in October.
- It doesn’t add to the equation to delay reopening schools to October.
- “We’ll watch every step along the way.” We have a plan, but will adjust if needed.
- Seal of NYC: Has it been looked at, does it still symbolize society now?
- We have to look at a lot of things. It’s definitely something that’s up for discussion and should decide if it still makes sense for this century.
Latest official numbers:
As of Sunday afternoon, a total of 411,736 people had tested positive for COVID-19 in New York, with the state’s death toll at 25,106.
The New York state coronavirus hotline is 1-888-364-3065; information is also being posted here