NEW JERSEY — Below you will find the most up-to-date information on coronavirus news impacting New Jersey. You can find additional resources and coverage on our coronavirus page.
Gov. Phil Murphy held a coronavirus briefing. Click here to watch the news conference.
- The rate of virus transmission from one person to another as exceeded 1.0 for the first time in 10 weeks.
- The increased rate of transmission is a very troubling sign, Murphy said.
- Murphy identified at least two new outbreaks that have been directly tied to travel from other coronavirus hotspots in the country.
- In Hoboken, 12 of the 13 new cases from over the weekend are connected to travel to known hotspots.
- Several new cases in Sussex and Morris counties are tied to people who went to a wedding in Myrtle Beach.
- “Our 14-day self-quarantine advisory for those who have come through a known COVID-19 hotspot is in place to prevent flareups like the ones we’re now seeing,” Murphy said.
- “One selfish person can undo the hard work of everyone else,” the governor added. “I do not want to have to hit another pause on our restart because a small number of New Jerseyans are being irresponsible and spreading COVID-19 while the rest of us continue to work hard to stop it.”
- Health Commissioner Judith Persichilli encouraged anyone who needs to quarantine but is unable to do so safely from their families to contact their local health department or call NJ211 for temporary housing assistance. Many municipalities have contracted with local hotels to provide rooms for quarantine housing.
- Reopening/resuming Monday: Youth day camps, in-person summer education, outdoor graduations, and full weekday service on NJ Transit rail and light rail.
- The statewide total of cases since March rose to 173,611.
- Of those sick, 861 patients are hospitalized, 187 patients are in ICUs and 152 patients are on ventilators.
- Another 20 people have died, bringing the death toll to 13,373 lives lost.
- The spot positivity rate for tests from July 2 was 2.14%.
Latest official numbers:
As of Monday morning, there are 173,402 confirmed COVID-19 cases in New Jersey with 13, 355 coronavirus-related fatalities.
For a list of drive-thru COVID-19 testing sites in New Jersey, click here.
Call New Jersey’s coronavirus hotline at 1-800-222-1222. You can also click here for additional information.