1 dead, 1 injured in Queens house fire: officials

JAMAICA, Queens — A 59-year-old man is dead after a fire broke out at a Queens home Thursday night, authorities said.

The FDNY responded to the blaze at Mathias Avenue at approximately 8:30 p.m. Thursday, arriving to heavy flames from the second-floor window. Authorities found a man unconscious and unresponsive on the second floor.

The victim, later identified as Kenneth Reese, was pronounced dead at the scene.

Fire officials told PIX11 that one other person has been injured.

Investigation into the cause is ongoing, the blaze may have been caused by an overheated space heater, according to sources.

AlertMe
Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.