1 dead, 4 hospitalized in possible carbon monoxide incident at Brooklyn home: officials

WILLIAMSBURG, Brooklyn — One person is dead and four others were sickened in an apparent carbon monoxide incident at a home in Brooklyn Saturday morning.

One man is dead and four others were injured in an apparent carbon monoxide incident in Brooklyn (Aug. 3, 2019)

Emergency responders arrived at a home on 211 Jackson St. in Williamsburg around 6:11 a.m. with elevated carbon monoxide levels, fire officials said.

When they arrived, officers found a man lying on the ground in a second floor hallway. He was pronounced dead at the scene, police said.

Police said it was not clear if his death was due to overdose, carbon monoxide poisoning or other factors.

The man’s identity was not immediately released.

Four adults, two men and two women, were taken to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries, fire officials said.

The victims were allegedly squatting in the residence, Fire Chief Fred Schaff told reporters on scene.

The next door building was under construction and unoccupied and tenants at 207 Jackson St. were evacuated, according to fire officials.

According to fire officials, a generator was in use, but was not on at the time emergency responders responded. Readings of 250 parts per million (PPM) were recorded. The maximum recommended CO level indoors is about 9 PPM. 

About 12 units and 60 firefighters responded to the scene and worked to have the residence ventilated.

AlertMe
Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.