watch mets vs. braves now

24 sickened in carbon monoxide incident at Midtown church: FDNY

At least 19 people were sickened during a carbon monoxide incident at St. Malachy’s in Midtown on July 16, 2019. (PIX11/Jennifer Bisram)

MIDTOWN — At least 24 people were sickened when elevated carbon monoxide levels were detected in the basement of a church in Midtown Manhattan Tuesday morning, the FDNY said.

The incident occurred at Saint Malachy’s The Actors’ Church on 49th Street between Broadway and 8th Avenue, officials said.

All 24 people were transported to area hospitals, according to EMS.

At least one with serious but non-life-threatening injuries, the FDNY spokesperson said.

About 80 people were evacuated from the church an FDNY chief on the scene told PIX11’s Jennifer Bisram. The FDNY’s Mobile Respiratory Treatment Unit is currently on scene helping treat victims with oxygen.

The elevated levels of CO appears to be caused by a malfunctioning motor from the stove ventilation hood in the kitchen of a community room at the church, the FDNY spokesperson said.

The emergency response was prompted when people in the church reportedly felt light headed and then an alarm went off, the official said.

According to a tweet from the FDNY, carbon monoxide readings were over 500 parts per million.

 

AlertMe
Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.