Target registers are back up and running after going dark on Saturday.
“The temporary outage earlier today was the result of an internal technology issue that lasted for approximately two hours. Our technology team worked quickly to identify and fix the issue, and we apologize for the inconvenience and frustration this caused for our guests,” the statement said.
The retailer on Saturday acknowledged a “systems issue” that affected stores, as shoppers took to social media to complain that cash registers weren’t working.
In a tweet from one of its official accounts, Target said that it was “aware of a systems issue in store and are working as quickly as possible to get this fixed.”
Social media users reported cash registers were not functioning properly at dozens of stores across the country and posted images of long lines.
“This is how you bring America to a standstill,” a Minnesota journalist shared on Twitter alongside a photo of an error message at a cashier’s stand. “Every single register at the Richfield [Target] is down.”
Employees at three different locations in Georgia told CNN the registers had been offline for about 45 minutes as of 3 pm ET.
It’s not clear how many Target stores were affected or what caused the outage. The company’s corporate office did not immediately respond to requests for details about the issue.
Target has 1,800 locations in the United States, and a large presence in India.
Target confirmed there was no data breach in connection to the outage. The company suffered a major breach back in 2013.AlertMe