Poker player dies from electrocution in bathroom

A Russian online poker player has been found dead after she was electrocuted while drying her hair.

The body of the 26-year-old was discovered in the bathroom of her flat in Moscow Tuesday, according to Russian state news agency TASS.

She was named by the news service as Lilya Novikova, a star in the world of online poker known to fans as Lia. “During the initial examination, traces of an electrical injury were found on the victim’s body,” a source told TASS.

Novikova’s body was found by a neighbor, the government news service reported.

“Relatives became agitated when the girl stopped responding to phone calls and asked her neighbor to check on her. She found the girl’s body,” a law enforcement source told TASS.

She regularly posted video streams on Twitch.tv, a live streaming platform popular among online gamers.

In addition to poker, Novikova was interested in rowing, boxing and archery.

Her Instagram account, on which Novikova describes herself as a “pro poker player,” shows her snowboarding and swimming, as well as playing poker both online and in casinos.

Online poker is a huge business, with top players earning millions of dollars. However, new computer programs may put human players out of business.

In 2017 a program called DeepStack widely defeated 10 out of 11 professional poker players using a type of artificial intelligence its creators describe as “intuition.”

AlertMe
Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.