UPPER EAST SIDE, Manhattan — The fire that killed an 86-year-old woman in her Upper East Side apartment was accidental, fire officials said Saturday.
Audrey Bergensten, 86, was found within the bathroom of her apartment unit on the third floor of a five-story apartment along First Avenue between East 91st and East 92nd streets around 5:30 a.m. Friday and was pronounced dead at the scene, police said.
Fire officials said the blaze was caused by an electrical extension cord.
A smoke alarm was present, but not operational, fire officials said.
No other civilian injuries were reported.
The FDNY reminds everyone to make sure their smoke alarms are operable and batteries are replaced.
For more fire and life safety information, visit www.FDNYSmart.orgAlertMe