MRI on Mets ace deGrom comes back clean, no damage

NEW YORK — Mets ace Jacob deGrom remains on track to start Friday night after an MRI on his right elbow showed no damage.

New York general manager Brodie Van Wagenen said the NL Cy Young Award winner had a test Monday morning that came back clean.

“No problems whatsoever,” Van Wagenen said, later adding, “we got the answers we were hoping for.”

DeGrom threw a 30-pitch bullpen session Monday. He is lined up to come off the injured list and start the opener of a weekend series against Milwaukee at Citi Field.

DeGrom reported soreness last week and the Mets put him on the injured list while the team was in St. Louis. The move followed two shaky starts by deGrom, leaving him 2-2 with a 3.68 ERA.

Later, the team said deGrom had been slowed by strep throat. DeGrom and the club said his elbow trouble likely was a result of altering his routine during a recent bout of strep throat.

The Mets made a series of roster moves before opening a series against Philadelphia. The game started more than 1 ½ hours late because of rain.

Third baseman Todd Frazier was activated from the injured list and set to make his season debut after recovering from a strained left oblique. Lefty Justin Wilson was put on the injured list with elbow soreness, right-hander Paul Sewald was sent to Triple-A Syracuse and infielder Luis Guillorme was called up from the minors.

Also, second baseman Robinson Cano was out of the starting lineup a day after being hit in the right hand by a pitch and shortstop Amed Rosario was out with flu-like symptoms.

AlertMe
Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.