11 hospitalized with carbon monoxide poisoning in Yonkers

YONKERS, N.Y. — Nearly a dozen people, including children, were taken to the hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning in Yonkers Friday morning.

Emergency responders responded to a two-story, two-family house in the vicinity of Coyle Place and McLean Avenue shortly before 8:30 a.m. following reports of unconscious people, including children inside.

"It's a miracle because give it a few more minutes and the outcome would have been much more severe," Yonkers Fire Chief Edward Cucolo told PIX11.

When authorities arrived, 11 people who appeared to be suffering from various degrees of carbon monoxide poisoning were located, police said. Of those 11 people, 6 are children, fire officials said.

They were removed to NYC Health + Hospitals/Jacobi and Westchester Medical Center for treatment.

"We suspect they're all going to be going through hyperbaric chambers. That infuses them with oxygen and tries to get the CO levels to drop in their bloodstream," said Chief Cucolo, adding that it looks like all 11 people should make a full recovery.

Officials said the cause of the carbon monoxide poisoning was a faulty gas heater, but could not say if the building had working carbon monoxide detectors, as required by law.

The building was ventilated and shut down until further investigation is complete.

The Red Cross told PIX11 they are working closely with the families at the area hospitals where they are being treated, and said those families will be given temporary shelter.

AlertMe
Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.