2-year-old boy on Long Island loses consciousness after ingesting methadone

MELVILLE, N.Y.  — Authorities say a 2-year-old boy lost consciousness after he swallowed his mother’s methadone at a home on Long Island.

Newsday reports that volunteer firefighters administered naloxone after the boy ingested methadone and lost consciousness at a home in Melville on Friday.

Suffolk County police said the child was taken to Huntington Hospital for observation.

The Melville Volunteer Fire Department issued “a plea to all” on Facebook Saturday saying, “If you think that we don’t have an opioid epidemic right here in front of us, THINK AGAIN.”

Police provided no further information.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.