Boy who may have died from fish smell was visiting grandmother on New Year’s Day

PISCATAWAY, N.J. — The smell of fish cooking in his grandmother’s kitchen may have caused an allergic reaction that killed an 11-year-old New Jersey boy.

Medical authorities in New York are investigating the death of Cameron Jean-Pierre in Brooklyn on New Year’s Day.

The boy’s mother tells ABC News her son suffered from asthma and was allergic to fish, and that the family carried a nebulizer machine to treat attacks.

Jody Pottingr said the family had moved from Brooklyn to Piscataway two years ago, where Cameron was a sixth-grader and honor-roll student at Theodore Schore Middle School.

The boy was visiting relatives on Tuesday when he was stricken, apparently after inhaling aromas from a traditional Caribbean fish dish that his grandmother and aunt were cooking.

Note: The NYPD tells PIX11 the boy’s name is spelled  Camron Jean-Pierre, but the Associated Press spelled it Cameron Jean-Pierre.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.