Candle started Queens apartment blaze that killed girl, 16, injured 2

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Fire marshals have determined that an unattended candle accidentally started a Queens apartment blaze that killed a teenage girl and seriously injured her mother and a neighbor.

The Fire Department tweeted the finding Friday, adding that the home had no smoke alarm.

The fire broke out Wednesday night in an apartment on Merrick Boulevard. It's in the St. Albans neighborhood, about 3 miles (5 km) from Kennedy Airport.

Authorities said 16-year-old Lamonies Smith, her mother and the neighbor were found on the third floor. The girl was pronounced dead at a hospital.

Her 56-year-old mother was taken to a hospital in critical condition. The neighbor, a 76-year-old woman, was hospitalized in serious condition.

AlertMe
Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.