ROBBINSVILLE, N.J. — Dozens of workers at an Amazon warehouse in New Jersey are being treated after they were sickened by bear repellent Wednesday morning.
Emergency crews were called to the Amazon warehouse on New Canton Way in Robbinsville shortly before 9 a.m. after employees reported having difficulty breathing and a burning sensation in their eyes and throat, authorities said.
According to authorities, an aerosol can of bear repellent fell off a shelf on the third floor of the warehouse's south wing and dispersed its contents.
As of 11 a.m., 24 workers were taken to the hospital for, with one employee in critical condition, said authorities. Another 30 employees were treated at the scene.
All employees in that area have been relocated and treated, Amazon said in a statement.
“Today at our Robbinsville fulfillment center, a damaged aerosol can dispensed strong fumes in a contained area of the facility. The safety of our employees is our top priority, and as such, all employees in that area have been relocated to safe place and employees experiencing symptoms are being treated onsite. As a precaution, some employees have been transported to local hospitals for evaluation and treatment. We appreciate the swift response of our local responders.”
As of 8 p.m., all impacted employees have been or are expected to be released from the hospital within the next 24 hours.
Correction: This article has updated the number of workers sickened.