Toxic mushrooms plaguing the Garden State, poisonings on the rise

NEWARK, N.J. -- People are ending up in the emergency room over poisonous, wild mushrooms. So many people, that New Jersey Poison Control is issuing a warning.

"We’re really afraid that someone is going to end up picking a seriously dangerous mushroom," said New Jersey Poison Control Center Managing Director Bruce Ruck. "We’ve already had a number of people hospitalized for severe nausea and vomiting."

The hot, humid and rainy summer has translated into thriving wild mushrooms everywhere: in yards, parks and forests.

Between July 1st and now — 56 people have called New Jersey Poison Control feeling nauseous or vomiting after eating wild-picked mushrooms.

Taking a risk on wild mushrooms without an experts help — can also lead to diarrhea, dehydration and damage to vital organs or even death.

"The problem is they look alike. So even if you’re eating a mushroom from outside of New Jersey that you’ve picked many, many times in the past -- it could look like that same mushroom here in New Jersey, but it could actually be a toxic variety," explained Ruck. "So our recommendation is to only eat mushrooms that you have purchased, unless you are with a mushroom specialist."

Of course if you do eat a wild mushroom — and you start to feel sick — you should call New Jersey Poison Control at 800-222-1222.

It is also helpful is to take pictures of one of the mushrooms with a coin in the photo next so experts can identify it. The coin or a ruler is helpful to measure the mushroom's scale.

You can also preserve part of mushroom for experts to take a look.

Cooking wild mushrooms does not get rid of the toxins inside.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.