Fire that killed 95-year-old woman in Brooklyn home deemed accidental

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CANARSIE, Brooklyn — The fire that killed a 95-year-old woman inside a Brooklyn home has been deemed accidental, fire officials said Sunday.

Fire Marshals said the July 7 blaze was caused by a power strip.

Smoke alarms were not present in the basement where the fire began, fire officials said. There were smoke alarms on the first and second floors of the house, but they were not operational, authorities said.

Anna Barthelemy died in the fire that started in the basement of her Canarsie home on 93rd Street. She’d lived in the home for the past 20 years.

Firefighters responded to the blaze within two minutes of the initial 911 call, but officials told PIX11 they had difficulty getting to the basement because of clutter blocking the stairs.

AlertMe
Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.