Gas leak sparks fire that burned 3 National Grid employees

WILLIAMSBURG, Brooklyn — Three National Grid were injured, one seriously, after a gas leak sparked a fire in Brooklyn early Friday.

National Grid crews were digging up the street along South Second Street and Union Avenue in Williamsburg with an excavator after high gas readings were detected, the National Grid said.

As they worked to fix the leak, a fire erupted from the hole dug up shortly before 1 a.m.

Three National Grid workers were injured and were taken to the hospital, the National Grid said.

One of the workers suffered serious injuries, officials said.

No customers lost gas service. Work continues to repair the gas line.