At least three injured in Washington Heights apartment fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

WASHINGTON HEIGHTS, Manhattan — At least three people were seriously injured in a fire at a Washington Heights apartment Sunday, and things could have been a lot worse authorities said.

The FDNY received reports around 12:11 p.m. about the blaze on the second floor of the apartment building at 549 W 163rd Street. Heavy smoke forced many people out on the to fire escapes, which was the situation firefighters arrived to find. The cause of the fire appears to be an accident involving a candle.

The smoke and heat became a factor quickly because the person in the apartment where the fire started left the door open while fleeing.

Leaving the door open was the same mistake that turned a Bronx fire last December deadly when flames shot up the stairs.

In Sunday’s Washing Heights fire, at least three people were taken to the hospital for their injuries, fire officials said.

Eyewitnesses say two firefighters were among those injured. They are both in stable condition after suffering smoke inhalation and minor burns. One was released from the hospital, but the other is still under observation.

The fire was deemed under control shortly after 1 p.m.


Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.