Fire near LIRR tracks in Queens caused by improper disposal of lithium battery: FDNY

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

A fire near Long Island Railroad tracks in Jamaica on Friday was caused by improper disposal of a lithium battery, the FDNY said Saturday.

The massive blaze broke out at a a trash and recycling facility around 1 p.m. near 187th Street and 90th Avenue and became a 5-alarm-fire just before 4:15 p.m. The flames lingered for hours, causing the suspension of multiple lines Friday and creating plumes of black smoke that could be seen for miles.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.