Woman accidentally drowns in NY hotel room hot tub: police

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

OLD FORGE, N.Y. — Authorities in upstate New York say a New Jersey woman drowned in a hotel hot tub, and her body caused a water jet to overheat and set off a fire alarm.

New York State Police say the smoke alarm went off around 4 p.m. Monday in a room at the Water’s Edge Inn in Old Forge. When maintenance staff entered the room, they found 55-year-old Patricia Moschella unresponsive in the water.

Emergency workers were unable to revive Moschella, and she was later pronounced dead.

Officials say the Freehold, New Jersey woman suffered a medical episode that caused her head to slip underwater and her hair to tangle in a water jet which set off the smoke alarm.

Police say the medical examiner concluded the drowning was accidental.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.