New Year’s eve pig roast in basement caused Brooklyn apartment blaze

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

FLATBUSH, Brooklyn — A Brooklyn building superintendent allegedly caused a two-alarm blaze in a Flatbush building while cooking a pig in the basement on New Year’s Eve, fire officials said.

Carlos Davis was arrested by FDNY fire marshals and charged with arson and reckless endangerment.

He allegedly built a “sizable fire” in the building’s basement to cook a 70-pound pig, an FDNY spokesperson said.. Fire from the roasting pig extended to the floor above. It also created a dangerous smoke condition in the entire building.

The FDNY has guidelines for safe cooking available here.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.