Christie says he’s no longer seeking sports radio host job
TRENTON, N.J. — New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie said Sunday he is no longer seeking a job at a New York sports talk radio station once he leaves office, disputing a newspaper report that said the station told him he was no longer being considered.
The Republican governor said the report published Saturday by the New York Daily News was “completely incorrect.”
Christie’s is prevented by term-limit laws from running again and will leave office in January. He has made numerous appearances as a fill-in host on WFAN while serving as governor and had a two-day on-air audition there last month as part of the station’s search to replace longtime afternoon host Mike Francesa.
Christie said WFAN management approached him three weeks ago about doing more shows with other potential co-hosts, but soon after, he declined the offer.
“After considering the other options that I have been presented with for post-gubernatorial employment, I declined their request to do additional shows,” Christie said in a statement issued by his office. “I made station executives aware that while I would be happy to continue to fill in for (WFAN morning show co-host) Boomer Esiason when asked and when available, that they should no longer consider me as a candidate interested in any job at WFAN when I leave the Governorship. I made that clear to them prior to leaving for my family vacation two weeks ago.”
Christie did not provide specific details about the “post-gubernatorial employment” options he has been presented with, and his spokesman did not immediately respond to a request for that information. Christie is prohibited from negotiating future employment while still serving as governor.
WFAN spokeswoman Jaime Saberito did not respond Sunday to a request for comment on Christie’s statement. She had told The Associated Press on Saturday that the station has not made a decision regarding a new afternoon show host and “cannot confirm the accuracy of the Daily News report.”