Man critically injured when package explodes in his hands at Queens home

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

BROOKEVILLE, Queens — An elderly man was injured when the package he was opening exploded in his hands, police say.

It happened around 4:15 p.m. in front of a private home on 222nd Street in Brookeville.

The man suffered burns over 80 percent of his body when he opened the canister package that was left on his porch.

According to NYPD Police Chief Boyce, no postal information was written on the gold canister device — which had a "mid-level sophistication."

The man, who residents say does not live in the neighborhood, but has property there, was rushed to the hospital.

A neighbor who lives down the block heard the explosion and ran over to see what happened.

"I saw the guy was on fire, his clothes were all burned up," said Audrey Campbell. "He was leaning down, just in shock."

Families have been evacuated from the block and authorities have expanded the crime scene to canvass the area as they work into the night.

This is a developing story; check back for updates and get the PIX11 News app to stay informed all day.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.