Electrical fire in Pace University building prompts dorm evacuation

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Smoke is seen coming out of Pace University from an electrical fire. (@Tommy2272/Twitter)

LOWER MANHATTAN — Pace University officials say a Con Edison equipment malfunction sparked an electrical fire in one of the buildings Sunday afternoon.

The fire broke out in the basement of the building around 3:30 p.m., at One Pace Plaza. It quickly grew to two alarms as smoke poured outside.

The dorm next door was evacuated as a precaution.

Pace University officials say the fire appeared “to have been the result of a malfunction in the Con Edison equipment bringing power into the building.”

By 6 p.m., the FDNY deemed the building safe and students were allowed to reenter their rooms.

No one was injured in the fire.

The building was not damaged.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.