LIRR train in minor derailment at Atlantic Terminal was going over twice the speed limit: NTSB

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

NEW YORK — The LIRR train that crashed into the end of the track at Atlantic Terminal in Brooklyn Wednesday was going more than 10 mph, which is over twice the speed limit for that portion of track, a spokesman for the National Transportation Safety Board said.

The spokesman said at a news conference Thursday that investigators have been examining the scene and the train to determine what caused the minor derailment in which more than 100 people sustained minor injuries.

The train engineer was interviewed Thursday and told federal investigators he "is unable to recall" striking the bumping block at the end of the track, but does remember pulling into the station and controlling the speed of the train, the spokesman said. The speed limit for that area is 5 mph.

The engineer told investigators he has been working the night shift for 10 to 12 years, the spokesman said. He said he has been working in his current morning shift for about a year and had been off for three days before operating the train that derailed

The train will be removed from Atlantic Terminal so investigators can test the functions, from the brakes and the power.

The train's event recorders have been recovered but the recorder for the lead car that was involved in the minor derailment was "compromised horribly."

Investigators have more inspections to do and interviews to conduct, including employees who witnessed the crash and passengers who were injured.

More than 100 people were injured when the LIRR train from Far Rockaway, Queens hit the bumping block at the end of the track on Wednesday about 8:30 a.m.

"It was a train that didn't stop when it was supposed to. (It) hit the bumping block at a fairly low rate of speed," Gov. Andrew Cuomo said at the scene Wednesday.

Cuomo said it was a "relatively minor accident, luckily," but hundreds of commuters were still affected during the height of the weekday rush.