Family of man injured in e-cigarette explosion at Grand Central Terminal speaks out

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MIDTOWN, Manhattan -- The family of a man who was injured when his electronic cigarette exploded inside Grand Central Terminal Wednesday is speaking out.

Surveillance video from inside the Central Cellars wine shop in Grand Central Terminal showed the horrific moment the e-cig exploded in employee Otis Gooding's pocket.

Gooding's brother, Joshua Barker, spoke to PIX11 Thursday afternoon outside the burn unit at the Weill Cornell Medical Center.

“He's in a lot of pain,” Barker said. “It shocked me when I found out. This is ridiculous. E-cigarettes should not be blowing up in people's pockets.”

Byron Gonzalez, a staffer at Central Cellars witnessed the explosion.

"There were sparks everywhere and panic and mayhem,” Gonzalez said. “He’s in the hospital right now with third degree burns.”

“I saw fireworks, I felt the heat,” Jonathan Lee said. “I think these e-cigarettes should be looked at a little bit more carefully.”

Gooding underwent surgery Wednesday afternoon and is expected to undergo surgery again next Tuesday.

Warning: Photos are graphic.